Swedish company SVT orders ‘Whiskey On The Rocks’ – Global Briefs – Deadline

Sweden’s SVT orders ‘Whiskey On The Rocks’ from Skyverse Nordic

Swedish public service broadcaster SVT boarded Nordic comedy-drama Skyverse whiskey on the rocks as its main sponsoring broadcaster. The six-part series is still in script development and production and is billed as an “epic, premium Cold War drama special event” directed by Björn Stein (Midnight Sun) and based on an original story by author Jonas Jonasson. It’s one of the first shows from Skyverse Nordic, which is a subsidiary of Sparkling, the Stockholm-based sister company to Humanoids that Deadline revealed in May. The show reunites Jonasson with Skyverse boss Patrick Nebout and creative producer Henrik Jansson-Schweizer, who were collectively behind Sweden’s biggest export hit, the Oscar nominee. The hundred-year-old man who climbed out the window and disappeared. A Scandinavian and international cast is sought to play the protagonists of the drama on board the submarine and in Moscow. The story is inspired by a notorious incident that almost escalated into a real war between Sweden and the USSR in 1981, when a Soviet U-137 “Whiskey” class submarine ran aground on rocks deep in Swedish territorial waters – right in the middle of a delicate Swedish naval exercise.

Netflix and EPC Announce Winners of Inaugural Female Producer Pitch Contest

Irish producer Anna Mannion of Tri Moon Films has won Netflix’s inaugural edition and the European Producers Club’s pitch competition for female producer-led fiction series. As part of the initiative, launched last March during Series Mania, a selection of projects from female producers affiliated with the European Film Club (EPC) were presented to the Netflix content team in Amsterdam. Microfilm producer Ada Solomon took second place in the €20,000 ($19,900) prize. The finalists were Mariela Besuievsky from Tornasol Media (Spain), Martichka Bozhilova from Agitprop (Bulgaria), Gabriele M. Walther from Caligari (Germany) and Olena Yershova from Tato Film (Ukraine, Turkey). They each received €5,000 ($5,000) to help with development. Deadline revealed news of the competition in March.

Keshet International hires Fleur Wheatley from Blue Ant

Keshet International (KI) has appointed Fleur Wheatley as Vice President of Sales based in London. She will be responsible for leading KI’s sales activities in the US, Canada, UK, Nordics, as well as global and regional SVoD channels and channels. Wheatley joins us after a four-year tenure at Blue Ant International, where she most recently served as Director of International Sales and Acquisitions for Nordics, Benelux, MENA, Greece and Turkey. She takes up her role today and reports directly to KI’s chief operating officer and president of distribution, Keren Shahar, who said Wheatley will be part of the company’s “largest post-Covid delegation”. Wheatley, who previously worked for DRG and Fremantle, will focus on format sales, scripted and unscripted finished tapes, and pre-purchase/co-production opportunities at KI, which is a subsidiary of Israeli broadcaster Keshet.

Welsh producers win local tender for ‘Gogglebox’ remake

Welsh independents Chwarel and Cwmni Da will produce Gogglebocs Cymruthe local language remake of the TV Watcher format Glasses box. This is the first time that original producer Studio Lambert and UK broadcaster Channel have licensed another UK channel and producer. Glasses box films families and friends as they watch and react to the most talked about TV of the week. The Welsh version is expected to feature 70% bilingual Wales-based programming – from S4C, ITV Wales and BBC Wales – and the remaining 30% from UK network broadcasters and SVoDs. Casting is now underway, with the first episode set to air the first week of November. Sioned Wyn, Managing Director of Chwarel, said: “We have been waiting for something like this for a long time. The ambition is to make it not just the highest rated show on S4C, but the whole of Wales – and beyond.

Red Arrow Studios International takes ‘Kid Sister’ to Cannes

Red Arrow Studios International has acquired worldwide distribution rights to a pair of new drama titles: a Kiwi coming-of-age comedy series Little sister from Greenstone TV and Summer Love, an eight-part anthology series from Australian producer Gristmill. The titles will headline the company’s Mipcom scripted slate, which will also feature the crime drama’s upcoming third season. Blood of Vienna. Kid Sister comes from Simone Nathan (Our flag means death), who also stars as lead character Lulu in the series, which launched on TVNZ On Demand in New Zealand earlier this year. He follows her as a Kiwi woman in her prime, nearly 30 years old but in the Jewish world heading towards celibacy. Summer Lovefor Australian pub broadcaster ABC, follows eight very different groups of people who rent the same beachside holiday home, where they experience love incarnate.