The big TV & radio quiz of 2021
Line of Duty finally unmasked H, millions of us sobbed in our tea as we watched Rose Ayling-Ellis and Giovanni Pernice waltz to victory on Strictly Come Dancing and Peter Jackson unveiled a surprisingly immersive documentary about The Beatles. If you’ve watched all three, you’ve got a decent shot with a high score in our year-end quiz. It’s time to flex your memory. The answers are at the bottom.
What acclaimed 2021 dramas were they the main protagonist in?
1. Detective Marianne Sheehan
2. Beverage Driver Mark Cobden
3. The professional thief Assane Diop
4. Poldark star Aidan Turner kept his shirt on but grew an impressive beard to play which artist in an Amazon drama this spring?
What American dramas have taken place in or around the following establishments?
5. Tranquillum House California Wellness Retreat
6. The English Department at Pembroke University
seven. A tropical spa resort on the Hawaiian island of Maui
8. Which fall success has been credited with fueling a 76% increase in the number of people learning Korean on the online platform Duolingo?
Can you identify these 2021 TV series from their cast?
9. Rose Leslie, Martin Compston, Shaun Evans
ten. Tom Hiddleston, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Richard E Grant
11. Stephen Graham, Colin Farrell, Tom Courtenay
12. Which popular BBC drama marked its 10th series in May with a retrospective documentary called Special Delivery?
These three recent books have been adapted into television series this year. Can you name them?
13. A 2016 Pulitzer Prize-winning alternative story about 19th-century slaves in search of freedom
14. A 2018 Non-Fiction Investigation of America’s Struggle with Opioid Addiction
15. A 2014 novel about Jewish resistance to neo-Nazis in the early 1960s in East London
16. During Friends: The Reunion, which of the six Central Perk called “Bull —-!” when teammates Jennifer Aniston and David Schwimmer denied an offscreen romance?
17. What was the title of the well-received BBC comic book sitcom Kiwi Rose Matafeo on a one-night stand with a Hollywood actor?
18. In Disney + Mystery Parody of Only Murders in the Building, which real-life comedian plays the host of a real-crime podcast called “Not All Right In Oklahoma”?
19. Which actress played the role of poisonous mothers in Ted Lasso and Succession this year?
20. In January, ITV aired a celebration of the 30th anniversary of Which Near-Silent Comedy Character?
21. In this year’s Halloween special, who recorded the first perfect 40 point score in Strictly Come Dancing history?
What prime-time TV contests were won by these people in 2021?
22. Paralympic athlete Kadeena Cox
23. Actress Morgana Robinson
24. A very pregnant woman dressed as a sausage
25. Who won three Star Baker Awards and three Technical Challenges but still hasn’t made it to the Bake Off Final? And as a bonus, what musical instrument do they play?
Accuracy of facts
26. Clive Myrie and Anne Robinson have taken over as longtime quiz facilitators this year?
27. Which has the longest running time: director Peter Jackson’s Hobbit movie trilogy or his Beatles Get Back docuseries?
28. What phenomenon Netflix got a second series this fall, despite its protagonist serving a 22-year prison sentence?
29. What do Cockney actor Danny Dyer and Devonian comedian Josh Widdicombe have in common, genealogically speaking?
30. Where has a Cotswold farm worker called Kaleb Cooper turned to worship this summer?
Scandals and slip-ups
31. Why did the BBC receive a record 109,741 complaints about its programming on Friday April 9?
32. Confusing him with Phillip Schofield, what did veteran Australian comedian Barry Humphries praise for This Morning host Dermot O’Leary for?
33. Coincidentally, there have been dramas called Losing Alice and Finding Alice this year. Which one featured Keeley Hawes?
34. Why was the Viewpoint five-night crime drama finale suddenly pulled from ITV’s shows in April?
35. Journalist Guto Harri left GB News this summer after being suspended for what?
Quote me on it
36. Who said of whom in March: “I wouldn’t believe it if she read me a weather report”?
37. Which chef swore just minutes after stint as guest announcer on Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, despite ITV’s investment in a beep machine?
38. What was the two-letter slogan of the roommates in the Channel 4 AIDS crisis drama It’s a Sin?
39. A Tipping Point competitor went viral this fall after mistaking Greek poet Homer for Homer Simpson and guessing what the gods’ food was?
40. Who did Bake Off winner Giuseppe Dell’Anno mistakenly call “Neil”?
41. What poet plowman died peacefully in October following a game of cribbage in Le Taureau?
42. Who hung up their headphones this summer after 14 years on Radio 1, including six years hosting the breakfast show?
43. Tom Ilube, Rugby Football Union’s first black president, “agonized” over which controversial song to hit Desert Island Discs this fall?
44. Cult heroine Jackie Weaver of Handforth Parish Council Meetings fame launched her own self-named podcast this year. What was it called?
45. What notoriously provocative American radio shock jock who boasted of being America’s most dangerous man ”died in February?
What TV shows have these memorable side characters appeared on this year?
46. Gregory Piper as PC Ryan Pilkington from Line of Duty
47. Jenna Coleman as Marie-Andrée Leclerc in Le Serpent
48. Omari Douglas as Roscoe Babatunde from It’s a Sin
49. This Kathryn Hahn meme winking as Agatha Harkness on WandaVision
50. Andrew Scott as Lord Merlin in The Pursuit of Love
Ready for the answers?
1. Easttown mare 2. Time 3. Lupine 4. Leonardo DeVinci 5. Nine Perfect Strangers 6. The chair seven. The white lotus 8. Squid game 9. Vigil ten. Loki 11. Northern water 12. Call the midwife 13. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead 14. Dopesick by Beth Macy 15. Ridley Road by Jo Bloom
16. Matt LeBlanc 17. Starstruck 18. Tina Fey 19. Harriet walter 20. Mister Bean
21. Rose Ayling-Ellis 22. Celebrity chef 23. Tyrant 24. Joss Stone on The Masked Singer 25. Jürgen Krauss. He plays the trombone
26. Brain and countdown 27. The Hobbit Movies – But Only Six Minutes 28. King tiger 29. The two discovered they were descended from royalty on Who Do You Think You Are? 30. On the Amazon Clarkson’s Farm docuseries
SCANDALS AND ACCIDENTS
31. Because the Society has erased its schedules to cover the death of the Duke of Edinburgh 32. His bravery in coming out as gay 33. Find Alice 34. Multiple allegations of sexual harassment and bullying have been made against her star Noel Clarke 35. Kneel down in support of English footballers
CITE ME ABOUT THIS
36. GMB’s Piers Morgan on Meghan Markle after her interview with Oprah Winfrey 37. Gordon ramsay 38. The 39. donuts 40. Presenter Noel Fielding
41. Bert fry 42. Nick “Grimmy” Grimshaw 43. Low swing, soft chariot 44. Jackie Weaver Has Authority 45. Rush limbaugh
46. Course of action 47. The snake 48. It’s a sin 49. WandaVision 50. The pursuit of love
How did you do? Let us know in the comments